Wednesday, April 13, 2011

You Are Getting Very Sleepy

I've read in multiple magazines and "health" websites over the years, that since everyone is different, to find out how much sleep your body needs you're supposed to sleep 3 nights in a row WITHOUT an alarm or anything to wake you, and on the 3rd day you wake up, the number of hours you slept that 3rd night is how many you should be getting each night.

I don't get a lot of sleep, I know  I know---it's good for your health, your looks, your weight....blah blah blah. All of those things seem to be doing fine for me, and ever since I can remember since I was teenager, I've slept anywhere from 4-7 hours most nights (6-7 always seems to feel best--when I get more than that I feel groggy all day) with an occasional 9 or 10 hour night when I'm completely exhausted after a trip or something, but I (completely exhausted) decided to give it a try!


I was able to do this experiment Friday, Saturday and Sunday. No alarm clock. No one to wake me. Phone turned off.

Friday night I slept 10 hours! Whoa--I was tired!
Saturday night 6 hours of sleep followed.
Sunday night I had a total of 7 hours of sleep.

So, apparently, the optimal number of hours my body needs is 7 hours.

I'll do my best to cut back on those 4-5 hour nights, but no guarantees...I like being up and awake and doing things...