Friday, April 22, 2011

Goodbye Meat Diet!

I've given up the "meat" diet. One more day and I would have brought live chickens into my home and made them my pets and hunted Mark MacDonald down and beat him senseless with a turkey burger.

10 days of eating food I hate every 3 hours made me nearly give up the will to live. I realized just how bad it was when I was walking through Target yesterday and started lusting after foods I haven't eaten in decades. Things like gallon-sized containers of cheese puffs and processed cupcakes wrapped in plastic---stuff I don't eat. So it was time to give up meat/meat/meat and veggies before I had a terrible downfall face-down in a trough of Doritos.

While looking for other nutrition plans to help me get rid of 7 pounds before bikini season (!!!), I started to understand why 34% of Americans are OBESE and another 34% are OVERWEIGHT (not obese). For those of you lacking math skills, that's 68% of Americans who are not at a healthy weight (what??).

Nevermind our American fast food addiction, for the people who want help, it's pricey!

Keeping in mind that "healthy" weight loss for a woman is 1/2 pound to 2 pound per week (the less you have to lose the slower it goes, so for me that would be probably 1/2 pound per week--a couple months), that can lead up to a lot of weeks, months, cash!


I asked a friend who is on Jenny Craig to lose 12 pounds how she liked it---she pays almost $150 per week for Jenny food plus spends another $30+ on fruits/veggies/milk at the grocery store to supplement the plan. That's around $720 a month for FOOD for one person for one month. She said the food tastes good though and she's seeing good results.


Yesterday I got a brochure in the mail for something that sounds perfect for me: "The Fresh Diet."  Fresh? Healthy? Nutritious? NO cooking! They deliver to my door? YES, please!

Then I saw the pricing: it's on sale for $29.99 per day, regularly $44.99 per day. For those without a calculator handy, that $900 for 1 month on sale, and $1350 regular price for 4 weeks. A thousand dollars per month for food for 1 person? That's more than the check I write every month for a place to live.




(I'd like to point out, in that same mailing came a delicious offer from NON-diet organization, Omaha Steaks, for a MERE $39.99 filet mignon/sirloin/steak burger/chicken breast/potato offer. ;)





I tried Nutrisystem a couple years ago for pre-bikini season (living someplace where it's REALLY cold 8 months out of the year means you bloat up till it warms up...maybe I should just move some place warmer ?? :) and it was the worst-tasting food I've ever put in my mouth. I tried 4 days of "food" and sent back the 30 day supply. Don't trust food that doesn't require refrigeration is now my motto. Sure, it was around $200/month to lose under 10 pounds (double if you want to lose more), but when the food is inedible it's just $200 down the drain. Sorry Marie Osmond, but you can keep that sh*t to yourself.


A friend told me she tried $500+/month Seattle Sutton's but the food mostly smelled all the same---like it was either all stored together or had a preservative on it or something, and that the portions were very tiny, like a 1 inch square of cornbread; we're guessing because they're not using anything lowfat, and are just rationing out regular high calorie items to make them nutritionally sound and equal 1200 calories. She's petite and was only losing a few pounds for a wedding but said she was hungry all the time so stopped after 3 weeks. I talked to a 2nd friend who tried this plan and she confirmed the same thing. She lasted only 2 weeks.

I feel for people who, for health reasons, have a lot of weight to lose. Diets suck. They're expensive. They're just annoying.



For now, I'm not sure what  nutrition plan I'll end up on in the next 8 weeks to be ready for summer, but I do know that I need to keep THIS in mind----------->

<-----instead of this!
                #nomnomnom

:)