Tuesday, November 4, 2008

...and history is made...

I wish V were here tonight. She was so involved in politics... She would be so proud tonight. I wish she were here. I wish.

I cried when the announcement was made tonight. I won't say that I am a staunch Democrat or that I was even a huge Obama supporter, although I am liberal and I do think Obama is an intelligent man.

I cried because during Obama's first run for Senate I was dating a political consultant for his campaign and he told me I needed to meet "this guy" because he was being groomed for the Presidency. I remember laughing and saying, "Pffft, maybe in 20 years..." because I honestly believed that the people in our country, the people in small towns and in white suburbs, and those conservative western states, would never elect a black man as president. They just weren't ready.

I laughed.
So little faith I had...
...that was in 2003...
....and now, just a few years later, I have witnessed history. The first African-American president. Amazing. I was alive to witness history... not the negative history I witnessed on September 11th, but positive history that the children I someday have will read about in school books.

Today I voted for change....
...and tonight I witnessed history.

And for the first time in a long time, I am proud of the people of my country for looking past color and seeing the merits of a President.


---------------------------------------------
"Young and old, rich and poor, Democrat and Republican, black, white, Latino, Asian, Native American, gay, straight, disabled and not disabled — Americans who sent a message to the world that we have never been a collection of Red States and Blue States: we are, and always will be, the United States of America."